Secretary Clinton Didn't Stand Up To China

And now a State Dept. report is underlining her mistake.

The United States on Wednesday scolded China for a litany of human-rights abuses last year even though Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton suggested during her recent Beijing visit that the issue would take a back seat to broader concerns like the global financial crisis.

In a report on the state of human rights around the world, the State Department singled out China for numerous violations while noting a general deterioration in conditions in other countries in Asia, the Middle East, Africa and eastern Europe.

China's an important trading partner and they are helping to hold up our economy (and theirs) but that doesn't mean we should keep giving them a total pass on these rights violations. When the Secretary Of State and especially the President have interactions with senior Chinese officials, they have to be subject to diplomatic pressure.