Sean Delonas Is Now On A Very Short Leash

It was one thing for the NY Post to sort of apologize for the monkey cartoon, but I think it's practically unprecedented for Rupert Murdoch to speak up on something like this.

'Today I want to personally apologize to any reader who felt offended, and even insulted,' said the statement from Murdoch, who is also chairman and chief executive of News Corporation, which owns the paper.

'I can assure you -- without a doubt -- that the only intent of that cartoon was to mock a badly written piece of legislation.

'It was not meant to be racist, but unfortunately, it was interpreted by many as such. We all hold the readers of the New York Post in high regard, and I promise you that we will seek to be more attuned to the sensitivities of our community.'

It's still constructed in a weaselly "if anyone was offended" way, but significant for ol Rupe to weigh in.