Paul Krugman on Stimulus: "Maybe, it’s a Trojan horse that smuggles the right policy into place"

By Ben Cohen

Like most people, Paul Krugman can't figure out what on earth the stimulus bill is really about, but he holds on to hope that its vagueness might allow room for the correct remedy:

It’s really not clear what the plan means; there’s an

interpretation that makes it not too bad, but it’s not clear if that’s

the right interpretation.

The plan deserves praise for what isn’t in it, at least as
far as I can tell. There doesn’t seem to be provision for mass
purchases of toxic waste at premium prices; there also doesn’t seem to
be a massive “ring-fencing” guarantee against private losses on bad
assets. In that sense the plan is better than what the last few weeks
of leaks led us to expect........

So what is the plan? I really don’t know, at least based on what we’ve
seen today. But maybe, maybe, it’s a Trojan horse that smuggles the
right policy into place.