Outrage at Fake Outrage

By Ben Cohen

David Sirota thinks Americans need to get a grip:

I’m not sure if it’s because we’re strung
out on “Lost” episodes, or if it’s because we’re still suffering from a
post-9/11 stress disorder that makes us crave “breaking news” alerts,
or if it’s because the economy has turned us into distraction junkies.
But one thing is painfully obvious after Michael Phelps’ marijuana
“scandal” erupted last week: Our society is addicted to fake
outrage—and to break our dependence, we’re going to need far more
potent medicine than the herb Phelps was smoking.

I couldn't agree more. The fact that the Phelps scandal was on the front page of any serious publication is pretty worrying, but then we've probably come a long way since Anna Nicole Smith.