Obama's Style

Salon's Joan Walsh:

As always, I thought Obama took too long to make his points tonight. (He averaged seven minutes per question, according to MSNBC's Keith Olbermann.)

I've previously complained about this with President Obama, especially in the earlier Democratic debates where he was one of about 8 people on stage. But this style of giving long, complex responses is as much a part of Obama's presentation as glib catch phrases were for Bush, or personal stories were for Clinton. He's not a soundbite guy, and while it may be a temporary thing - America doesn't want to hear soundbites at this point.

As Jon Stewart said a few months ago: Barack Obama is treating the American people like adults.