Hall of Shame: Congress to cut benefits for the poor, firefighters

by Ari Rutenberg

The so-called compromise stimulus bill is being decimated by the "bipartisan working group" that is attempting to remove $100 billion from the cost of the bill. Greg Sargent has obtained an internal Senate memo describing the programs to be cut.

Here is a list of programs to be totally cut:

Total Reductions: $80 billion

Eliminations:

Head Start, Education for the Disadvantaged, School improvement,
Child Nutrition, Firefighters, Transportation Security Administration,
Coast Guard, Prisons, COPS Hiring, Violence Against Women, NASA, NSF,
Western Area Power Administration, CDC, Food Stamps

Reductions:

Public Transit $3.4 billion, School Construction $60 billion

Increases:

Defense operations and procurement, STAG Grants, Brownfields, Additional transportation funding

So as you can see, it is simply more of the same neocon agenda. More money for the DoD and less for Head Start (pre-school for poor kids), Firefighting, the National Science Foundation, and the food stamp program, which not only helps poor people to eat. but is also one of the most effective forms of fiscal stimulus we have.

These legislators should be ashamed that they refuse to help the most vulnerable among us. Anytime they want to cut programs, it is those that we can least afford.

Fuck these people. They do not have the best interests of our nation at heart. It is doubtful that they are even capable of seriously legislating our problems any more. They simply want to prove that they are right, no matter the cost and pain it causes so many among us. It is outrageous and unaccpetable.

They, and we, should be ashamed of what is happening.