The rule of law returns: Karl Rove Subpoenaed by Congress

It's great to see this headline and know that no one will be providing legal cover for people to ignore lawful subpoenas. I can't wait to see what Rove says....

Via HuffPost:

On Monday, House Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers (D-MI)
issued a subpoena to Karl Rove, requiring him to testify regarding his
role in the Bush Administration's politicization of the Department of
Justice, including the US Attorney firings and the prosecution of
former Alabama Governor Don Siegelman. The subpoena calls for Rove to
appear at deposition on Monday, February 2, 2009.

Rove has previously refused to appear in response to a Judiciary
Committee subpoena, claiming that even former presidential advisers
cannot be compelled to testify before Congress. That "absolute
immunity" position was supported by then-President Bush, but it has
been rejected by U.S. District Judge John Bates. President Obama has
previously dismissed the claim as "completely misguided."

"I have said many times that I will carry this investigation forward
to its conclusion, whether in Congress or in court, and today's action
is an important step along the way," said Rep. Conyers. Noting that the
change in administration may impact the legal arguments available to
Mr. Rove in this long-running dispute, Mr. Conyers added, "Change has
come to Washington, and I hope Karl Rove is ready for it. After two
years of stonewalling, it's time for him to talk."

Read the full article here