Sony To Lose $1.1 Billion, Maybe They Should Be Open

I'm sure part of it is the economy, but I get the feeling that Sony's loss of billions is in part due to the closed nature of their products. Sony has the tendency to lock everything down with excessive DRM - look at how poorly their ebook reader has fared versus Amazon's Kindle. I don't necessarily think everything has to be open source la-dee-dah, but I think we're increasingly in a world in tech and consumer electronics where you've got to be more open than Sony has been historically.