Sarah Palin Goes After Bloggers - Not a Wise Idea

By Ben Cohen

Sarah Palin has been attacking the blogosphere and journalism in general for their interest in Trig Palin's birth details. Here's what she told Esquire:

http://media.hoover.org/images/sarah_palin.jpg

Bored, anonymous, pathetic bloggers who lie annoy me....I'll tell you,

yesterday the Anchorage Daily News, they called again to ask --

double-, triple-, quadruple-check -- who is Trig's real mom. And I

said, Come on, are you kidding me? We're gonna answer this? Do you not

believe me or my doctor? And they said, No, it's been quite cryptic the

way that my son's birth has been discussed. And I thought, Okay, more

indication of continued problems in the world of journalism."

In all honesty, Palin is probably right about this. The media's obsession with Trig Palin's birth details is silly and most likely completely unfounded. However, Palin has not been forthcoming about the issue, which has only fanned the flames. Attacking bloggers is also unwise, a strategy that almost guarantees confrontation in a war she simply cannot win.

Palin is an easy target, unable to deal with serious media scrutiny and ill equipped to match wits with clever web publishers. Whoever is managing her needs to tell her to keep a lid on it, or she will unleash another hailstorm that could derail whatever political ambition she has left.