Prominent British Politician Denounces 'War on Terror'

By Ben

British Foreign Secretary David Miliband has written a somewhat controversial article in the Guardian denouncing the 'War on Terror' as an inaccurate way to label 21st century conflicts. Miliband doesn't go all the way in condemning the horrors our governments have wreaked upon the third world, but it's definitely a start for a mainstream politician:

The idea of a "war on terror" gave the impression of a unified,

transnational enemy, embodied in the figure of Osama bin Laden and

al-Qaida. The reality is that the motivations and identities of

terrorist groups are disparate. Lashkar-e-Taiba has roots in Pakistan

and says its cause is Kashmir. Hezbollah says it stands for resistance

to occupation of the Golan Heights. The Shia and Sunni insurgent groups

in Iraq have myriad demands. They are as diverse as the 1970s European

movements of the IRA, Baader-Meinhof, and Eta. All used terrorism and

sometimes they supported each other, but their causes were not unified

and their cooperation was opportunistic. So it is today.

The more we lump terrorist groups together and draw the battle lines as
a simple binary struggle between moderates and extremists, or good and
evil, the more we play into the hands of those seeking to unify groups
with little in common. Terrorist groups need to be tackled at root,
interdicting flows of weapons and finance, exposing the shallowness of
their claims, channelling their followers into democratic politics.