President Bush's Last Speech - As Bad as his Presidency

By Ben Cohen

George Bush's final speech to the American public was in essence, a pathetic attempt to rewrite his catastrophic record. With the familiar simplistic language and brazen confidence used throughout his tenure, Bush attempted to defend the undefendable, going through the litany of almighty cock ups with his own delusional take on events. Words like "Good vs Evil", "Freedom", "Democracy", "9/11" featured heavily in the speech, littering his thesis that the neoconservative project has been a roaring success.

Grinning his way through the speech, Bush's complete disregard for the massive damage he has caused was on full display:

"Iraq has gone from a brutal dictatorship and a sworn enemy

of America to an Arab democracy at the heart of the Middle East and a

friend of the US," said Bush

"There is legitimate debate about many of these decisions but there can be little debate about the results....America has gone more than seven years without another terrorist attack on our soil."

Bush also went on to defend free market capitalism, announcing that his decisive action had saved the day:

Facing the

prospect of a financial collapse, we took decisive measures to safeguard our

economy. These are very tough times for hardworking families, but the toll

would be far worse if we had not acted....We will show the world once again the resilience of

America’s free enterprise system.

Rebuttals to Bush's fantasy world are no longer appropriate. The facts speak for themselves, and the appalling state of the country is a testament to his failed ideology, failed leadership and failed professional life. George W. Bush should have never been allowed anywhere near the Presidency, and the country has learned a harsh lesson in electing mediocrity to its highest office.

Chris Matthew of MSNBC delivered a withering assessment of Bush's Presidency directly after the speech, summing up the vast disappointment and anger felt over the past 8 years, and putting his failures into historical perspective:

So it is good bye, and good riddance to a President not worthy of his title, a President we'd rather forget while we pick up the pieces of a nation he tried so hard to break.