Iran Relations: Grown-Ups Back In Charge

Sooooo refreshing.

President Barack Obama's administration will engage in 'direct diplomacy' with Iran, the newly installed U.S. ambassador to the United Nations said Monday.

Not since before the 1979 Iranian revolution are U.S. officials believed to have conducted wide-ranging direct diplomacy with Iranian officials. But U.S. Ambassador Susan Rice warned that Iran must meet U.N. Security Council demands to suspend uranium enrichment before any talks on its nuclear program.

'The dialogue and diplomacy must go hand in hand with a very firm message from the United States and the international community that Iran needs to meet its obligations as defined by the Security Council. And its continuing refusal to do so will only cause pressure to increase,' she told reporters during a brief question-and-answer session.

Wait, you mean we aren't just going to stamp our feet and hold our breath?