GOP Made Up CBO Report On Stimulus To Try And Derail It

New president, same old GOP dirty tricks. Their flaw, as usual, is that somebody checked. When the last elephant is put down it'll yelp, "Somebody checked!!'

Reports of a recent study by the Congressional Budget Office, showing that the vast majority of the money in the stimulus package won't be spent until after 2010, have Democrats on the defensive and the GOP calling for a pullback in wasteful spending.

Funny thing is, there is no such report.

'We did not issue any report, any analysis or any study,' a CBO aide told the Huffington Post.

Rather, the nonpartisan CBO ran a small portion of an earlier version of the stimulus plan through a computer program that uses a standard formula to determine a score -- how quickly money will be spent. The score only dealt with the part of the stimulus headed for the Appropriations Committee and left out the parts bound for the Ways and Means or Energy and Commerce Committee.

Because it dealt with just a part of the stimulus, it estimated the spending rate for only about $300 billion of the $825 billion plan. Significant changes have been made to the part of the bill the CBO looked at.

The CBO numbers were given to a small number of congressional Democrats and Republicans, but were not posted online because they're not an official CBO product. (Media outlets, while reporting widely about the 'report,' have declined to post it online. Here's the whole thing.) Democratic aides say they are certain that the GOP leaked it to the Associated Press in order to undercut the spending portion of the stimulus.

I recently was talking to a friend of mine who worked on the Obama campaign and we were discussing why the GOP had no ThinkProgress or similar type site of their own. My friend reminded me that ThinkProgress deals with actual, verifiable facts.

Oh, right.