We Were Right

By Ben Cohen

David Sirota of Truthdig.com has a message for the Right - 'We told you so'. Damn straight:

Please, forgive me for saying it. I know

it’s a tad annoying, but it has to be said to America’s ruling class in

this humble column. Because if it’s not said here you can bet it won’t

be said anywhere else in the media, and it needs to be said somewhere

on behalf of the millions of citizens who were right.

We told you so.

In the slow-motion train wreck that
became the current economic meltdown, our bipartisan political
establishment and the sycophantic punditburo have been wrong over and
over and over again. They told us that eviscerating consumer
protections would unleash the market’s benevolent power and boost the
economy. They told us that a trillion-dollar Wall Street bailout would
solve a credit crisis. They told us that bailout would be subjected to
intense oversight and scrutiny.

Wrong, wrong and wrong—and when critics
predicted just that, sneering commentators and congressional leaders
berated us as know-nothing Luddites, conspiracy theorists, or both.