War is Over (If You Want It)

By Peter Bauer

I am a huge music fan and am impressed by the massive impact The Beatles have made on music over the last half century. However, I've always been intrigued by John Lennon's social activism- the way he harnessed his celebrity to work for the betterment of society. This interview (which ends with a rather depressing war montage set to music) is an outstanding reminder about what is still possible in our society.

In Lennon's own words:

Society is run by insane people for insane objectives.
I think we're being run by maniacs.
We can get peace now if we want it now.
Anybody knows that the people have the power.
Shake your fist at the government, but we are the government.
The battle is always lost within the castle.
Try to get people oriented for peace.
It's like we've all just woken up one morning and thought, "Was it a dream? Was it a nightmare?" and we're just trying to make the next day better.
You have to start on the home ground.
We think we have the right to have a say in the future, and we think the future is made in your mind.