Little Big Sony

I'm an XBox 360 owner (and apparently in the majority in the Sony-Microsoft battle, though Nintendo is winning the wider war) and played Little Big Planet for the first time this Christmas at my cousin's house.

This is what all the noise is about? Oh sure, the game looks cool and I understand the appeal about being able to customize things, but the game is basically a Mario-style platform game. The skin is really nice thanks to the Playstation's engine, but I don't see how a game like that competes with things like Call Of Duty, Halo, and Gears of War. And if you are aiming for a mainstream, family experience, doesn't the Wii show that you don't need top notch graphics to appeal to this demographic?