How Educated Elites Ruined America

By Ben Cohen

Chris Hedges explains why the country's ruling classes, taught to believe they were special, have brought America to the brink of destruction:

The multiple failures that beset the country, from our mismanaged

economy to our shredded constitutional rights to our lack of universal

health care to our imperial debacles in the Middle East, can be laid at

the feet of our elite universities. Harvard, Yale, Princeton and

Stanford, along with most other elite schools, do a poor job educating

students to think. They focus instead, through the filter of

standardized tests, enrichment activities, advanced placement classes,

high-priced tutors, swanky private schools and blind deference to all

authority, on creating hordes of competent systems managers. The

collapse of the country runs in a direct line from the manicured

quadrangles and halls in places like Cambridge, Princeton and New Haven

to the financial and political centers of power.