'Toot' Done Good

By Ben Cohen

I'm about to head off to the Obama campaign headquarters down the road, but thought I'd do a quick post on the death of Barack Obama's Grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, or 'Toot' as Obama used to call her.

http://images.usatoday.com/news/_photos/2008/04/07/obamagrandma2x.jpg

It is profoundly sad that 'Toot' died the day before the election, because her Grandson will most likely win and become the first African American President in the history of the United States. Regardless of what you may think of Obama's politics, Republicans, Democrats and Progressives must all agree that he is a decent, honest human being. While Obama's Grandmother may not have seen her Grandson become President, she saw him run one of the most admirable campaigns in history. Obama has risen gloriously out of the ashes of the Bush era, avoiding the slash and burn politics that have threatened to destroy America, appealing to voter's better nature and not their fear.

I am not a father yet, but would imagine that the greatest pride one can have in their children would be to see them grow into decent, compassionate human beings. Mrs Dunham saw that and more, so tomorrow is really only part of the detail. May she rest in peace.