The Latest Republican Recession

I was 15 years old in 1992 when Bill Clinton was elected to clean up the Reagan-Bush mess of our economy. 16 years later, Barack Obama has to do the same with George W. Bush.

The nation's unemployment rate bolted to a 14-year high of 6.5 percent in October as another 240,000 jobs were cut, the government said Friday. It was stark proof the economy is almost certainly in a recession.

The new snapshot, released by the Labor Department, shows the crucial jobs market deteriorating at an alarmingly rapid pace.

This must be the cross Democratic presidents bear - restoring the American economy after Republicans screw it up. Ah, I guess we've got to follow FDR here:

The country needs and, unless I mistake its temper, the country demands bold, persistent experimentation. It is common sense to take a method and try it: If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.