Newt Gingrich's lesbian sister: "stop being a hater, big bro"

by Ari Rutenberg

For those who don't know, conservative giant Newt Gingrich has a lesbian activist sister named Candace. She recently wrote an open letter to him regarding Prop 8 in California. In it she calls out his use of hatred and bigotry to further his own political career, and then tells him how its going to be in the 21st century.

From the HuffPost:

"Dear Newt,

I recently had the displeasure of watching you bash the protestors
of the Prop 8 marriage ban to Bill O'Reilly on FOX News. I must say,
after years of watching you build your career by stirring up the fears
and prejudices of the far right, I feel compelled to use the words of
your idol, Ronald Reagan, "There you go, again."

However, I realize that you may have been a little preoccupied

lately with planning your resurrection as the savior of your party, so

I thought I would fill you in on a few important developments you might

have overlooked.

The truth is that you're living in a world that no longer exists. I,
along with millions of Americans, clearly see the world the way it as
-- and we embrace what it can be. You, on the other hand, seem
incapable of looking for new ideas or moving beyond what worked in the
past.

Welcome to the 21st century, big bro. I can understand why you're so
afraid of the energy that has been unleashed after gay and lesbian
couples had their rights stripped away from them by a hateful campaign.
I can see why you're sounding the alarm against the activists who use
all the latest tech tools to build these rallies from the ground up in
cities across the country.

This unstoppable progress has at its core a group we at HRC call
Generation Equality. They are the most supportive of full LGBT equality
than any American generation ever -- and when it comes to the politics
of division, well, they don't roll that way. 18-24 year olds voted
overwhelmingly against Prop 8 and overwhelmingly for Barack Obama. And
the numbers of young progressive voters will only continue to grow.
According to the Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning,
about 23 million 18-29 year olds voted on Nov. 4, 2008 -- the most
young voters ever to cast a ballot in a presidential election. That's
an increase of 3 million more voters compared to 2004.

These are the same people who helped elect Barack Obama and sent a
decisive message to your party. These young people are the future and
their energy will continue to drive our country forward. Even older
Americans are turning their backs on the politics of fear and
demagoguery that you and your cronies have perfected over the years.

This is a movement of the people that you most fear. It's a movement of
progress -- and your words on FOX News only show how truly desperate
you are to maintain control of a world that is changing before your
very eyes."

Read the full article here