Do They Have A Dean?

When the histories are written about the rebirth of the Democratic party from 2001-2008 - and Lord knows there will be a lot of them - one of the key narratives will be the rise of Howard Dean from obscure governor to failed presidential candidate to triumphant party chairman. Without Dean, there is no Obama. He was the vehicle that brought in outside ideas to a party that had been boxed into submission by the Republican party.

Is there anybody like this in the GOP? I see talk swirling around about people like Palin, Romney, Thompson being bandied about as the future of the right, but do any of those people bring fresh new ideas from outside the party? I'm doubtful.

To be honest, I don't want them to find one. I hope they become the modern Whigs, but we'll see.