The McCain Campaign Does Not Understand The Constitution

I don't do these fact check things because the campaign hires a big staff with far more time and resources and expertise than I have to do so, which you can see here. But this one was such a whiff I thought it was worth noting. This is basic stuff, the kind we who are a product of the much derided public school system learn at an early age. Basic stuff.

On Thursday night, Sen. Biden said this:

Vice President Cheney has been the most dangerous vice president we've had probably in American history. The idea he doesn't realize that Article I of the Constitution defines the role of the vice president of the United States, that's the Executive Branch. He works in the Executive Branch. He should understand that. Everyone should understand that.

And the primary role of the vice president of the United States of America is to support the president of the United States of America, give that president his or her best judgment when sought, and as vice president, to preside over the Senate, only in a time when in fact there's a tie vote. The Constitution is explicit.

Writing on the McCain campaign blog, former Weekly Standard writer Michael Goldfarb said:

Article 1 of the Constitution does not, in fact, define the role of the Vice President of the United States. It defines the role of the legislative branch, otherwise known as the branch in which Joe Biden has served for the last 36 years.

Article 1, Section 3 of the United States Constitution:

The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be equally divided.