Surge?

Obama leads McCain by 53-39 in the latest CBS/New York Times poll.

After several weeks in which the McCain campaign unleashed a series of harsh political attacks on Mr. Obama, trying to tie him to a former 1960s radical, among other things, the poll found that voters see Mr. McCain as waging a more negative campaign than Mr. Obama. Six in 10 of those surveyed said that Mr. McCain had spent more time attacking Mr. Obama than explaining what he would do as president; by the same margin voters said Mr. Obama was spending more of his time explaining than attacking.

I honestly believe the race is more like a 50-45 affair, but I'd rather be wrong and have this poll be right. We'll see.