Step By Step

Andrew Young joins the no longer silent minority.

For Young, the moment passed quickly this time. As his name was called, Young walked stiffly toward the voting machines, waving and shaking hands with others waiting in line, their eyes twinkling with recognition and pride. As he approached the machine, a poll worker whispered, 'Who is that?'

It's Andrew Young, he was told. The worker grinned and nodded. 'That's great,' he said, recognizing the name of the civil rights movement veteran who went on to Congress, the United Nations and the mayor's office in City Hall.

Six minutes later, Young emerged smiling, an 'I'm a Georgia voter' sticker proudly displayed on his blue blazer.

It was the 12th time he'd voted for his friend and ally in the struggle to end segregation, Rep. John Lewis. It was the 11th time that he voted for president of the United States.

And it was the first time his vote might actually help elect a black man to the position.

Young and his civil rights contemporaries 'never thought that this would even be possible in our lifetime,' he said. 'We didn't think it was going to go this fast, that it would probably be our children's children that had those kinds of opportunities.'

We've been at this for months, but I still don't think the mainstream media has picked up on what a big deal this election is.