Martin Luther King On War

By Ben Cohen

It's funny how Republicans (and Democrats for that matter) love to reference Dr Martin Luther King, even when their views are diametrically opposed. Neo Hawk Sean Hannity once hilariously invoked the 'spirit of Dr King' in order to refute Rev. Jeremiah Wright's arguments about Black Liberation Theology, even though were he alive, Hannity would have treated him with a similar lack of respect and understanding.

If Dr King were alive today, he would no doubt be opposed the the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and would have had a thing or two to say about America's role in the world.

"Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America to be his divine messianic force to be, a sort of policeman of the whole world," said King in reference to Vietnam. "God has a way of standing before the nations with judgment, and it seems that I can hear God saying to America 'You are too arrogant. If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power, and I'll place it in the hands of a nation that doesn't even know my name. Be still and know that I am God.' "

Dr King represents a mythical character in American history, much like Jesus does in Christianity. Neither man would subscribe to fraction of the nonsense spewed by those invoking their names, and would be vehemently opposed to their beliefs. As the bumper sticker quote goes "What would Jesus Bomb?"

<