John McCain Wants To Cut Medicare And Medicaid

So, in order to get the budget in order, Barack Obama has proposed rolling back the Bush tax cuts for the top 1%, going through the budget looking for waste, ending the multi-billion dollar war in Iraq, etc. John McCain, on the other hand, thinks that we should screw the poor and elderly by cutting Medicare and Medicaid. I'm not kidding.

The Republican presidential nominee has said little about the proposed cuts, but they are needed to keep his health-care plan "budget neutral," as he has promised. The McCain campaign hasn't given a specific figure for the cuts, but didn't dispute the analysts' estimate.

In the months since Sen. McCain introduced his health plan, statements made by his campaign have implied that the new tax credits he is proposing to help Americans buy health insurance would be paid for with other tax increases.

But Douglas Holtz-Eakin, Sen. McCain's senior policy adviser, said Sunday that the campaign has always planned to fund the tax credits, in part, with savings from Medicare and Medicaid. Those government health-care programs serve seniors, poor families and the disabled. Medicare spending for the fiscal year ended Sept. 30 is estimated at $457.5 billion.

John McCain: Secret agent of the left? It sure looks like it sometimes.

UPDATE: As "Poland" points out, I totally forgot - John McCain wants to privatize social security.