Clinton Comes Through For California Gays

By Ben Cohen

Finally, Bill Clinton is sticking his neck out for something he truly believes in, and asking Californians to voted NO on prop 8 (the proposition that would stop gays from marrying each other).

I've never really been that riled up about the social issues of politics, as I've always believed economic issues were the most important. It's probably a result of not having lived through discrimination myself, but being acutely aware of the economic disparity in every day life. However, I now live in West Hollywood (where most of the Los Angeles gay community lives) and have gotten to know a lot more gay people. I feel I can better understand where they are coming from now, and sympathize immensely with the horrible discrimination this proposition represents.

Homosexuality is not a choice. There is ample scientific evidence that it is genetically pre-determined, and on that basis alone, it is clearly morally wrong to discriminate against them. And even if homosexuals 'decide' to be gay, so what? If a relationship blossoms between two consenting adults, then why should anyone have a problem with it? It is literally like going to restaurant and eating a cake, then complaining that someone across the room is eating a cake too and ruining your experience. It is completely nonsensical.

The argument that there is some religious basis for discrimination against homosexuals is also bogus. Anyone who has read 'Leviticus' will note the many sins God listed, most of them so ridiculous it is funny anyone bothers to mention it as an argument. Here's a great one:

Leviticus

25:44-45

Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations

around you;

from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary

residents living among you and members of their clans born in your

country, and they will become your property.

Why do Christian fundamentalists not insist on having slaves? Because it is clearly absurd. Yet the clause about homosexuality is taken as a core belief, revealing more about personal prejudice than moral purity.

Anyway, if you live in California, go out and vote against proposition 8. It's not right, and it needs to be voted down definitively.