Can States Handle Voting Anymore?

I'm always skeptical of states running things coherently. I know we want to give local control - but to quote John McCain: "Blah, blah, blah". They always seem to screw it up.

In Georgia, there are 12 hour lines for early voting. In Florida, Gov. Crist has to issue an executive order to extend voting hours.

Come on. This is 2008. And these aren't isolated cases. The last few elections 2000-present, the civic engagement in America is way up. And the local governments seem positively unable to handle it.