America Devouring Itself

By Ben Cohen

Chris Hedges points out that historically speaking, when a countries economy goes down the toilet, we tend to get some pretty nasty regimes:

It is no longer our economy but our democracy that is in peril. It was
the economic meltdown of Yugoslavia that gave us Slobodan Milosevic. It
was the collapse of the Weimar Republic that vomited up Adolf Hitler.
And it was the breakdown in czarist Russia that opened the door for
Vladimir Lenin and the Bolsheviks. Financial collapses lead to
political extremism. The rage bubbling up from our impoverished and
disenfranchised working class, glimpsed at John McCain rallies,
presages a looming and dangerous right-wing backlash.