About that experience thing...

by Ari Rutenberg

In a cosmic bitch slap to McCain, a 106 year-old nun who lives in a convent in Rome and hasn't voted since Eisenhower has endorsed Obama.  In terms of experience, she is 106, 10 years older than McCain's mom(!), and has lived in one of the world's oldest and greatest cities for half a century.  Not many have more experience at life than her.  The difference between her and McCain?  She learned the right lessons from her life, where McCain seems determined to make the same mistakes time and time again.

From the BBC:

A 106-year-old American nun living in a convent in
Rome could well be the oldest person to vote in the 2008 US
Presidential election.

Sister Cecilia Gaudette, who last voted for President Eisenhower
in 1952, has registered to vote and says she will vote for Democrat
Barack Obama.

Although hard of hearing, she keeps herself informed by reading newspapers and watching TV at the convent.

"I'm encouraged by Senator Obama," she says.

"I've never met him, but he seems to be a good man
with a good private life. That's the first thing. Then he must be able
to govern," she adds.

Sitting in her modest office in the convent where she has lived
for the past 50 years, the diminutive nun appears uninterested in the
row inside the American Catholic church over Senator Obama's support
for pro-choice policies on abortion.

Asked about her hopes for the US under an Obama presidency, she
says: "Peace abroad. I don't worry about the Iraq war because I can't
do anything about it. Lord knows how it will end."

Read the full article here