Gallup

These results, based on Oct. 5-7 polling, are the best for Obama during the campaign, both in terms of his share of the vote and the size of his lead over McCain. (To view the complete trend since March 7, 2008, click here.)

Nearly all interviews in today's report were conducted before Tuesday night's town hall style debate in Nashville. Any movement in voter preferences as a result of this debate will be apparent in coming days.

Voter preferences seem to have stabilized for the moment, as Obama has held a double-digit lead over McCain in each of the last three individual nights of polling.

UPDATE: I should just note for the record that I don't necessarily think Obama has an 11 point lead. I think, in all likelihood, Sen. Obama is up 5-6 percent over McCain. I just think its worth noting when Sen. Obama is at 50%+ because that's a mark I haven't seen a Democrat hit in national polling this close to the electon in a long time.