McCain suggests ignoring the Constitution

By Ari Rutenberg

John McCain's apparent refusal to meet with Spain's Prime Minister is a perfect representation of the farcical nature of his campaign.  Spain is a member of NATO and a major trading partner, and cannot be blithely dismissed because McCain does not like the political ideology of the ruling party.  It is a fully functioning capitalist democracy and thus there is no legitimate argument to deny them anything less than full and cordial diplomatic relations.  No serious contender for an major office should so blithely dismiss our allies.  How can we function in a globalized world that we helped to create (you know, free markets and such) if we refuse to deal with our allies?  Not to mention rehabilitating our shattered reputation around the world.

I cannot believe any serious individual could respect such an untenable position.  Indeed Article 4 of
the NATO treaty requires that NATO nations consult when one of them
desires to do so.  If McCain refuses to carry out his obligations under
the North Atlantic Treaty, that would put him in contravention of
Article 6 of the United States Constitution, which says

"This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be
made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be
made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme
law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby,
anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary
notwithstanding."`
(emphasis mine)

Thus any violation of treaty terms is also illegal, Bush and Cheney's fantasies about executive authority not withstanding.

It is unacceptable to treat allies so shabbily.  Anyone who values
this nation's relations with our greatest supporters should be very
concerned about this.  It is increasingly clear that it was a
deliberate statement rather than a gaffe.  If that is not the case then
they are screwing with our international affairs to win an election.
If it is then they are dangerously out of touch with our world and what
it takes to live as a good neighbor and ally, and that should give
everyone pause.