National Guard? Army? John McCain Doesn't Know

The latest from the self styled expert candidate.

'McCain said this near the end of the clip below, as he's talking up Palin's foreign policy/national security credentials:

'I also know, if I might remind you, that she is commander of the Alaska National Guard. In fact, you may know that on Sept. 11 a large contingent of the Alaska Guard deployed to Iraq and her son happened to be one of them. So I think she understands our national security challenges....'

'The ceremony Palin attended at Fort Wainwright last week didn't involve the Alaska National Guard. Palin's son is in the Army, and his unit - 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division - deployed to Iraq.'

Imagine if Barack Obama had made this gaffe. We would never hear the end of how the non-veteran Obama disrespected the military by not being engaged enough to discern between national guard and the army. But it's MaverickTM so all is forgiven.