McCain losing everyone's respect

Reformed Conservative Andrew Sullivan on why he no longer respects John McCain:

So far, he has let us all down. My guess is he will continue to do
so. And that decision, for my part, ends whatever respect I once had
for him. On core moral issues, where this man knew what the right thing
was, and had to pick between good and evil, he chose evil. When he knew
that George W. Bush's war in Iraq was a fiasco and catastrophe, and
before Donald Rumsfeld quit, McCain endorsed George W. Bush against his
fellow Vietnam vet, John Kerry in 2004. By that decision, McCain lost
any credibility that he can ever put country first. He put party first
and his own career first ahead of what he knew was best for the country.

And when the Senate and House voted overwhelmingly to condemn and
end the torture regime of Bush and Cheney in 2006, McCain again had a
clear choice between good and evil, and chose evil.