George Carlin on enjoying the freak show

By Ben Cohen

Sometimes the modern world gets me down. The constant pressure to succeed, work, buy stuff, and conform is overwhelming. I'm often struck with the notion that it is all bullshit - that working 60 hours in a job you hate does not make you 'responsible' or 'successful', and owning the latest gadgets won't make you happier, and having money won't make life that much more enjoyable given you won't have the time to spend it.

The late comic genius George Carlin reminded us that it is in fact, a big lie, and that we should enjoy life from a spectators point of view. Here he is back in 2001 with Dennis Miller explaining how he views the world, and why we shouldn't get too involved in it: