Texas Oil Company with Ties to Bush seeks illegal Oil Deal in Iraq

By Peter Bauer
Contributing Editor

I recently moved into a new house with my soon to be wife.  During this time of transition, I was happily without access to television or the internet, relying solely on the local paper for my world news.  The insulation from the minute by minute postings of the blogosphere was refreshing, but I must say, I'm happy to be back online.

The biggest news that filtered through to me was that Iraq's oil fields are being opened up to foreign investors.  At the top of the 31 companies that were invited to bid were Shell, BP, Exxon Mobil and Total.  "The firms included seven from the U.S., three from Britain and others from countries like Russia and China."

Remember, Iraq has the 3rd largest oil reserve in the world.  Also remember that Iran is consistently has one of the ten largest oil reserves.

Iraqi oil has continually been a hot button issue, as many people around the world see the US led invasion of Iraq as being nothing more than an imperial grab at natural resources.

It gets worse.

"Bush administration officials knew that a Texas oil company with ties
to President Bush was planning to sign an oil deal with the regional
Kurdistan government that runs counter to U.S. policy and undercut
Iraq’s central government, a congressional committee has concluded."

Predictably, the Bush Administration denies its role in the deal despite a regional coordinator for the State Department email stating that he was glad to hear of Hunt Oil’s efforts.

How much longer will this go on?

If a college senior was accused of rape, would it be acceptable for the university to sit back and do nothing because the accused was about to graduate?  Where do you draw the line?