The Tancredo Effect

The NBC/WSJ poll shows the hispanic vote going 62-28 for Obama, which echoes the similar double digit drop from the Gallup poll. The Republican party's embrace of xenophobia may turn out to have the same demographic effect that adopting the southern strategy had for the GOP. It may be a generation before Republicans can contest for the hispanic vote again (I'm curious what the Cuban American vote in Florida looks like), and even more worrisome for them - unlike the black vote that's mostly stagnant at about 13-15%, the hispanic vote is increasing.

Of course, as the amount of Hispanics in America increases, the more intolerant conservative rhetoric becomes. It's almost like they keep throwing the ball to our best cornerback no matter what the formation is.