Phasers Are Locked, Captain

Engage.

Less than 24 hours after securing the Democratic presidential nomination, Barack Obama is putting in place six teams of campaign consultants that will handle advertising, polling and direct-mail efforts for the general election campaign.

Much of the expanded structure is built on an existing core of consultants Obama has relied on throughout his primary bid, although the expansion is significant and includes many (although not all) of the up-and-coming firms on the Democratic side.

I love this stuff. This is the kind of thing I once admired about the Clinton organization and have come to admire about the Obama team. I truly hope the petty, trifling fighting amongst consultants we have seen in past presidential campaigns - Kerry, Gore, Bill Clinton - doesn't come out with Sen. Obama (Hi, Bob Shrum). I've seen no indication for months now that that will be a problem.