An open letter to Sen. Dianne Feinstein

Senator Feinstein,

Please vote against telecom immunity.  I have read your position and an fully aware of your rationale for supporting it previously, however I urge you to reconsider.

First of all the point of the constitution is that no man can certify a clearly illegal act as legal.  Why would you support a man like President Bush in his efforts to expand the egregious abuses of domestic power?  Indeed Obama has pledged to have al of these laws reversed, so it makes no sense.

Second of all as I'm sure you know the Constitution specifically prohibits ex post facto laws. "No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed." Article 1, Section 9 of the U.S. Constitution.  This is clearly such an act.  Granting amnesty to these organizations asserts that Bush is to be trusted to be allowed to violate the constitution, but his actions do not bear that out.

Indeed it may be criminal for Bush to have knowingly assured corporations that their cooperation was legal, which it clearly wasn't.  If it had in fact been legal there would be no need for a new law making it legal.

I have always respected you as a genuine progressive force in American politics.  However if you vote for this act I will not be able to vote for you again.  I know that I only have one vote, but I hope it matters to you that people actually want the constitution oversight duties of the Congress carried out.  Those aren't just pretty words; you exist to challenge and balance the Presidents convictions, not blindly bow to them.

Once again I urge you to vote against immunity for the telecom companies.

Very Truly Yours,

Ari Rutenberg