The Greatest Generation (Domestic Edition)

Elderly black Americans like this woman laid the groundwork for those of us who followed. Without their sacrifices in the past, there is no America of today - where the ideals of racial equality are recognized as an uncontroversial national ideal. These men and women understand the historical significance of a black president in a way my generation never can no matter how hard we try. They know that for a single moment in history the election of Barack Obama would be right behind the Emancipation Proclamation and the Civil Rights Act. They've shown up in the primary season and that is just the warm up for the general election.