Newsweek: Barack Obama Polls Poorly Among Racists, Also Water Is Wet 99% Of The Time

Can someone explain to me why Newsweek thought this was somehow revelatory?

In the NEWSWEEK Poll, participants were asked to answer questions on a variety of race-related topics including racial preferences, interracial marriage, attitudes toward social welfare and general attitudes toward African-Americans. Respondents were grouped according to their answers on a "Racial Resentment Index." Among white Democrats with a low Racial Resentment Index rating, Obama beat McCain in a hypothetical match-up 78 percent to 17 percent. That is virtually identical to Clinton's margin in the category, 79 percent to 13 percent. But among white Democrats with high scores on the Racial Resentment Index, the picture was very different: Obama led McCain by only 18 points (51 to 33) while Clinton maintained a much larger 59-point lead (78 to 18).

Who exactly are these high Racial Resentment Index voters? A majority, 61 percent, have less than a four-year college education, many are older (44 percent were over the age of 60 compared to just 18 percent under the age of 40) and nearly half (46 percent) live in the South.

Lucky for us, we live in the 21st century, and while they are still around racists - especially in the south - are no longer in any serious majority. We should never be deciding elections based on these people, and especially not now.

If something is distasteful to a racist, my guess is usually that it's a good thing!

Using that scale, Barack Obama is off the charts.

At a certain point, after you perhaps bend to the prevailing winds of the electorate, you have to stand firm on some things. To paraphrase the early 21st century philosopher William O'Reilly: "Fuck it! We'll do it live!"