Corporate Journalism University Programs

By Ben Cohen

This should raise some alarm: ABC wants plans to open bureaus this
autumn on the campuses of five universities across the United
States. While I certainly agree with more money and funding for journalism, allowing one of the corporate conglomerates to teach their style of journalism to students is certainly worrying.

From AZcentral.com:

ABC plans to open a multimedia bureau at ASU in September that will
give students the opportunity to produce content for ABC News' various
digital and broadcast platforms, including “Good Morning America,”
“World News with Charles Gibson,” and “Nightline.”Each ABC News campus bureau will have a team of paid student
staffers as well as a bureau chief. Representatives from the college
and ABC News will oversee the operations.

Does anyone remember Charles Gibson's pathetic performance in the Clinton-Obama debate? ABC is hardly the benchmark for serious reporting, and no self respecting university should enlist their services. We really do not need another generation of news hacks destroying the profession.