Conservative nonsense in Britain

By Ben Cohen

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown is on the ropes after losing massive amounts of power in the local elections earlier this month. Having botched his first year with a series of blunders, Brown is facing a conservative upsurge from the smooth talking David Cameron who looks set to be Britain's new prime minister bar any major blunders.

Brown is a poor man's Tony Blair, whose only redeeming feature is that he is vaguely to the left of his former boss. But Brown and New Labour are infinitely better than the right wing Cameron.

Take the conservative leader's comments in a speech he will deliver today on tax cuts:

"After a decade of reckless spending under Labour, Britain needs good
housekeeping from the Conservatives. We need to start living within our
means........

"We have reached the limits of acceptable taxation and borrowing. With
the rising cost of living, taxpayers can't take any more pain, and the
economy can't take any more pain without losing jobs to lower-tax
competitors."

Cameron's key mistake is that he believes New Labour fatigue is a sign
that people want less government regulation, and more freedom for
business. This could not be any further from the truth, and cutting
government expenditure is the last thing any sensible person would want
in an age of rampant market capitalism and globalisation.

Given the conservative economic policies have created the discontent with New Labour in the first place, Cameron's new found energy is based
on fraudulent opportunism. He is simply repackaging an idea that has failed in spectacular glory.

New Labour has shown itself incapable of presenting Britain with an
alternative to conservative economics, so it is now time for someone
else to fill its shoes before Cameron and his vultures get their hands
on power.