John McCain's 100 Years In Iraq: The Ad The Republican Party Doesn't Want You To See

Who knew that the RNC would bust out the wahmbulance so soon in the 2008 campaign. And they're going straight to legal maneuvers to squelch the ad. Funny how the party of "tort reform" always jumps to the lawyers.

The ad hits a nerve. And I hope it keeps doing so (I gave to the DNC for the first time in years in response to it).

The committee’s chief counsel, Sean Cairncross, said he sent letters Monday to NBC, CNN and MSNBC insisting that they stop airing the commercial.

At issue is McCain’s answer, in January, to a question about Bush’s theory that troops could be in Iraq for 50 years.

McCain said: “Maybe 100. As long as Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed, that’d be fine with me, and I hope it would be fine with you, if we maintain a presence in a very volatile part of the world where al-Qaida is training, recruiting, equipping and motivating people every single day.”

Democratic Party chief Howard Dean said “there’s nothing false” about the ad.

“We deliberately used John McCain’s words. This isn’t some ominous consultant’s voice from Washington. This is John McCain’s own words. And we’ve been very upfront about everything that he’s said.”

The RNC wants a new standard for campaign ads: Don't run ads against Republicans if you're going to use their actual words.