Jeremiah Wright, Move and Abu Jamal

by Nana Ampofo

I spent yesterday evening at the Clapham Picture House in South West London watching a film called "In Prison All My Life", principally about the unfair trial of a former black panther Mumia Abu Jamal for the murder of a white police officer, Daniel Faulkner. Abu Jamal has been on death row since December 1981.

Now, to see this film is to be baptised in the political assumptions of much of the African American community in the United States. First, the phrase "government of the people, by the people, for the people..." has not applied to them historically. Second, government is capable of horrific acts to police their political and economic aspirations.

This was brought home in the film by three events. COINTELPRO (1956 – 1971), the destruction of 'back to nature' Afro-centrist group Move in 1985 and Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

don't know anything about the AIDS conspiracy theory but let's assume
it’s a horrible lie. There would still be more important things to
discuss. The offence to the reputation of the government of the United
States and even its people is surely a red herring. Isn't the real
question here, why is a conspiracy theory about a deliberate attempt on
the part of the government to eradicate its black citizens within the
realms of belief for so many? For that I refer you to the above. And to
Obama's speech on race