Hillary Clinton's Kamikaze Run

By Ben Cohen

I'm trying to refrain from commenting on the Democratic Primary, as I'm now beginning to see it as an exercise in media rating wars rather than a serious political contest. However, Clinton's antics over the past few weeks (let alone the last few months) have become completely unbearable and worth speaking out about. This election is important. Let us not forget that. It is absolutely crucial that a Democrat is elected to office in 2008 for the sake of America, and the rest of the beleaguered planet. A continuation of George Bushes' policy via John McCain could tip an already fragile world over the edge and completely destroy the concept of the United States as a serious nation. Barack Obama may not be the perfect candidate, but he is the most perfect candidate we have left and it does Democrats no good allowing Hillary Clinton to baselessly attack him.

Even the New York Times has stepped into the fray, scolding the
candidate they endorsed for running a kamikaze campaign against her
opponent:

The Pennsylvania campaign, which produced yet another inconclusive
result on Tuesday, was even meaner, more vacuous, more desperate, and
more filled with pandering than the mean, vacuous, desperate,
pander-filled contests that preceded it.

The editorial continues:

On the eve of this crucial primary, Mrs. Clinton became the first
Democratic candidate to wave the bloody shirt of 9/11. A Clinton
television ad — torn right from Karl Rove’s playbook — evoked the 1929
stock market crash, Pearl Harbor, the Cuban missile crisis, the cold
war and the 9/11 attacks, complete with video of Osama bin Laden. “If
you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen,” the narrator intoned.

If
that was supposed to bolster Mrs. Clinton’s argument that she is the
better prepared to be president in a dangerous world, she sent the
opposite message on Tuesday morning by declaring in an interview on ABC
News that if Iran attacked Israel while she were president: “We would
be able to totally obliterate them.”

Given the media's constant horse race coverage of the debacle, it's
getting harder and harder to take this contest seriously. Clinton is
thriving off of the media's lust for a fight, resurrecting her doomed
campaign over and over again and spinning the outcomes to look as if
she is 'on a roll'.

Her campaign in ripping the Democrats apart, and seriously damaging
their ability to fight John McCain after the convention. Someone needs
to stop her, and stop her quickly.