Chomsky on acid

By Ben Cohen

I'm developing a bit of an obsession with Matt Taibbi from Rolling Stone, and have tried to read as much of his commentary as possible. Taibbi is the perfect antidote to important but boring analytical writing, as his acerbic style of journalism is great fun to read. He is basically Noam Chomsky on acid.

Economic issues are probably the most important to understand given they effect 90% of the population on a daily basis, and Taibbi lays it out in a way that makes it easy to digest. Taibbi also has a talent for lampooning Beltway pundits, a sport that should be regarded as public service.

I have spent a fair bit of time ripping into Joe Klein (perhaps the most prominent Washington hack of the past two decades), but Taibbi has written a far lengthier account of his pretentious hackery that is definitely worth reading. Be sure to check out the horrendous photos he links in his article of the devastating after effects of agent orange on the Vietnamese. It is truly horrific, and a reminder that war has lasting effects that can destroy generations of people (something Klein does not seem to be bothered about).

For more of Taibbi's political journalism, check Rollingstone.com for his campaign coverage.