Bubba America: Call The Cops On Gay Men Kissing

When I see nonsense like Newsweek's cover about the so-called "Bubba Gap" for Sen. Obama and other members of the punditocracy saying that the path to the presidency can only be achieved by pandering to these (mostly southern) conservatives I always have to roll my eyes (I also roll my eyes at so called independent pundits always rushing to the same wrong conclusion, as usual). Because for a considerable amount of our national history these people are on the stupid and wrong side of most major issues.

larry the cable guy

ABC did a test to see what the reaction would be to two men kissing in public in Alabama. They called the cops.

A police officer even arrived at the scene after a woman called 911 because she saw Kaolin and James kissing each other in public.

ABC News obtained a copy of her call:

Operator: "Birmingham Police operator 9283"

Caller: "We have a couple of men sitting out on the bench that have been kissing and drooling all over each other for the past hour or so. It's not against the law, right?"

Operator: "Not to the best of my knowledge it's not."

Caller: "So there's no complaint I could make or have?"

Operator: "I imagine you could complain if you like ma'am. We can always send an officer down there."

And they did. One of Birmingham's finest came to Five-Points and spoke with Kaolin and James. Though city officials and the police department signed off on ABC's social experiment, this officer was somehow not in the loop. The officer told our couple that the police dispatch received a call because the two of them were making out.

"Just don't do that in public," he told them before leaving the scene.

Now, look, these folks have a right to their own personal beliefs, but we debase our politics if we try to pander to them. We have only moved forward in this country when we ignored the loudest voices in the "Bubba" contingent who were never quite ready for women's rights, equal rights or gay rights.

Larry the Cable Guy can be amusing, but I don't want him dictating the future direction of western civilization. That probably makes me a coastal elitist snob from the midatlantic, but so be it.

Git 'R Done.

(via)