Bill Moyers on Real Journalism

By Ben Cohen

A serious journalist on the meaning of real journalism. From the Huff Post:

The slat broke after the invasion and some strange bedfellows fell
to the floor: establishment journalists, neo-con polemicists, beltway
pundits, right-wing warmongers flying the skull and bones of the
"balanced and fair brigade," administration flacks whose classified
leaks were manufactured lies - all romping on the same mattress in the
foreplay to disaster.

Five years, thousands of casualties, and hundreds of billion dollars
later, most of the media co-conspirators caught in flagrante delicto
are still prominent, still celebrated, and still holding forth with no
more contrition than a weathercaster who made a wrong prediction as to
the next day's temperature. The biblical injunction, "Go and sin no
more," is the one we most frequently forget in the press. Collectively,
we don't seem to learn that all it takes to transform an ordinary
politician and a braying ass into the modern incarnation of Zeus and
the oracle of Delphi is an oath on the Bible, a flag in the lapel, and
the invocation of national security.