Apparently I'm Not A Progressive

At Shakesville, writing about Obama and abortion Kate Harding writes this intriguing bit

Progressives? Do not respect the anti-choice position.

Really? This is the road we're going to go down now? I think being pro-choice is a necessity for a Democratic candidate. It's a showstoper for me, and I couldn't support a presidential candidate who wasn't pro choice. I personally believe that a woman's got a right to choose her own health care.

But I do respect the anti-choice position. I understand that if someone believes that a fetus is a human why they might feel so strongly about abortion. I don't agree with them in the least and think their opinion is dumb, but I respect it.

Of course, at the same time, I respect those who are more pro-choice than I am. I happen to support parental notification for minors, but understand the reasoning of those who oppose it. I don't agree with them, but I respect it too.

The conservative movement shows us what its like when idealogical movements abandon all pragmatism and consent to thought-based purges. As does the Democratic party of the '70s and '80s.

But then, I guess I'm not a progressive.